- Take a Music Production with Ableton Live Certificate and get a free copy of Ableton Live 9!
Ableton Live 1: Production will transform you into a well-grounded producer in just 8 weeks. This creative and intuitive software is revolutionising the music making process and we provide a comprehensive lowdown on how to use the tools in Live to make professional quality tracks. You'll gain professional insight into the whole process from MIDI programming to getting to grips with EQing sounds and mastering your final mix. Upload your music for DVR™- expert analysis and video feedback from a pro producer. With Louie Vega, Freerange and Cr2 checking out tracks from this course, this is a fantastic opportunity to get your stuff heard in the right places - after polishing your technique! This course has now been updated with brand new Live 9 and 'Push' content!
Includes over 135 quality videos/frequent DVR™ (1-2-1 video feedback)/8 hours live master classes/1 year access/over 160 pages of course notes/24/7 access to forum/ exclusive audio resources to download. Optional: sign your track to Point Blank Music distributed by iTunes, beatport, Juno Download and Amazon.
Beat Making with Impulse
- Overview of Ableton
- Browser: devices, Session and Arrange view
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Live packs
- Drums: kits, Impulse, quantize, velocity tricks
- Counting music: rhythm and tempo
- Creating self contained projects
Groove, Warping and Clip Envelopes
- Layered Drums: multiple Impulse kits
- Midi controllers: playing in live, OVR function
- Hot Swap: single sounds and kits
- Quantize, groove and swing
- Warping explained
- Percussion: warping loops, warp markers
- Clip envelopes: events,automation
Music and Bass with Simpler
- Sounds: browsing, tricks, REX and Midi files
- Simpler: loading sounds, start points
- Programming bass parts in different genres
- Compression: basics
- Simpler: filter, LFO, velocity, Live 7 Legacy
- Riffs, chords and scales, arpeggiator
- Racks: chains, instruments, drum racks
Scenes and Effects
- Building scenes:capture and insert, labelling
- Effects: inserts v sends/returns, when and why?
- Delay and Reverb
- Creative effects: Beat Repeat and Auto Filter
- Midi mapping: sends, midi map values
- Key mapping: toggle switches, mixing desk
- Resampling: what and why? Frequency shifter
Arrangement and Vocals
- Recording Arrangements
- Automation: editing, recording/overdubbing
- Arrange view essentials, fixed grid
- Editing audio, consolidation, Red drums, fades
- Editing midi
- Free 3rd party plug ins: T.A.L/NI Kore Player
- Vocal samples and recording vocals
Structure and Arrangement
- Slice to midi: Macro loop compress functions
- Structure: breakdowns, larger sections, method
- Arrangement: how parts co exist
- Arrangement types: songs, tracks
- Project: Soy Mustafa ‘Red’, Jonny Miller Remix
- Arranging: delete time, copy sections, als files
- Tips: fills, Red drums, fill from original drum loop
- Sweeps, washes, reverses, cymbals, FX
- Freeze & Flatten options
- Session view: set up, extending faders, sizing
- Grouping tracks for mixing and processing
- Spectrum analysing: using it to 'see' sound
- Functional FX: EQ Eight and Auto Filter HP
- Compression: attack/release, side chaining
- Apply finishing touches to project
- Exporting your track , options, dither
- What is mastering? Pro mastering vs. ‘maxing’
- Mastering basics: master bus additions
- Ableton Course Final Test
- Soundcloud and your online profile
- Assignment 8: finish final track
Victor Smuraglia Course rating: 9/10
Very nice course, good tutor, good feedback.
Learned a lot.
Dakota Hansen Course rating: 10/10
I thought this course was amazing. My tutor was also amazing. he helped me with the feedback and I thank him for that.
Maxime Lemire Course rating: 9/10
Freddy's teaching was more than great! He makes complex theory real easy to get through examples and tips. The only thing I would say that bothered me was the time...this course goes over so much stuff that I did not have enough time to try and play with everything, mainly because of my work schedule. But now that the course is over, I can put all the time to go over the course one more time and do everything! Looking forward to take another course in the next 6 months !! Can't wait!
John Upchurch Course rating: 9/10
I thought the course was excellent and it definitely lived up to all the glowing reviews it has received. The website layout is perfect. The course notes are comprehensive and cover a significant amount of content in a well organised fashion. The weekly masterclasses were really enjoyable. I found the personal DVR's to be fantastic and they really set this course off from any other. The Tutor, Freddy, offered excellent advice and guidance throughout the entire course, which really helped in getting motivated to get the most out of the course. I have recommended this course to many of my friends and look forward to taking more with Point Blank in the future.
Martin Tyminski Course rating: 10/10
Excellent course. Johnny's video's were absolutely brilliant and especially the example songs he used (Red and the Deadmouse one) Freddy is also very good. Very helpful and inspiring, lots of energy and fun to work with. I have already signed up for the Ableton Sound design course but Im gonna do it next time round so that I can absorb what I have learnt from this course.
Eric Musacchio Course rating: 10/10
Great course! Freddy did a great job as a tutor, really impressed with what I got out of the course and looking forward to taking more classes!
ROSS COOPER Course rating: 10/10
I thought the course was excellent in everyway. Its one of the best things i have done concerning music in general and electronic music. I loved sitting in front of my computer working through Jonny Millers brilliant video tutorials and all the notes and other material that went with it. I had Live 9 open all the time and practised each technique after learning from the videos. My tutor was Freddy and i found him to be very good ,informative ,helpfull and very funny! I particulary enjoyed each weeks live masterclass and his teaching in that was second to none and it was a great way to interact live with my fellow students and tutor. Freddy sometimes blew a little mini horn/trumpet at the start which was very amusing !!
I would like to thank you guys at Point Blank for a brilliant 8 week course in my favourite software Ableton. I am going to continue to do the course and learn and practice all the time for the next year whilst making my music.
I can see now why you have been awarded so many times by Dj Mag!
10 out of 10 to all at Point Blank.
The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) carries out annual official inspections of our School including analysis of management, staff, tutors, students and courses. The report shows that we scored the highest marks possible (Exceeds Expectations) in all categories including outstanding teaching and facilities. View the report.