- Take Music Production with Ableton Live Certificate and get a free copy of Ableton Live 9! Advance payment only
If you have got to grips with producing tracks with Ableton Live but want to examine the further reaches of what the DAW can offer, it's time to take the Ableton Live 2: Sound Design course. This is an insightful and bang up-to-date journey through the creative processes involved in making your own, unique sounds and textures at the cutting edge of music production. You still get the theory and in-depth analysis so you know what you're doing and why - but you also get proper music templates, projects and examples to download that are a true reflection of the creative edge of dance music today. Plus 1-2-1 feedback from your friendly neighbourhood pro producer that no other school can match. Featuring Danny J Lewis, Daniel Herbert and more...
Over 175 videos / frequent DVR™ (1-2-1 video feedback)/ 8 hours live masterclasses /1 year access / over 160 pages of course notes / 24/7 access to forum / exclusive audio resources to download. Optional: sign your track to Point Blank Music distributed by iTunes, beatport, Juno Download and Amazon.
"This Is a Journey Into Sound..."
- The essentials: Loudness, Pitch and Timbre
- Introduction to synthesised Sound Design on Live devices Analog & Operator
- Science of how sound is made: with downloadable Ableton Live Projects
- Describing sound and exploring how sound waves can be created
- Prepare for lesson 2: examine and discuss a selection of sounds in 3D
- Work through a musically relevant selection of volume envelope settings
Creating Movement (Subtractive and FM Synthesis)
- Modulation, envelopes & LFO's across both Analog & Operator
- Adding sonic movement to the concepts introduced in week 1
- Filters and patches are introduced in context with musical examples
- FM synthesis is demystified using the additional Operator algorithms
- Example patches are created, fully in context with musical examples
- Create basses, leads, pads, electric pianos, bells, mallets, FX and more
- You will create Instrument racks with macro MIDI mapping
Physical Modelling (Collision and Tension)
- Exploring Collision and Tension in detail
- Creating metallic, woody and string like sounds
- Making futuristic percussion instruments
- Using Tension to process the audio signal for unique textures
- Creating Instrument Racks with Macro MIDI Mapping
- Creating Effects Racks with Macro MIDI Mapping a
World of Warp-craft
- Advanced time and pitch-based audio manipulation techniques
- Using the selection of warp modes available
- Creating abstract and futuristic effects from existing audio material
- Extreme timestretching
- Exploring resampling and further production techniques
- Why use a sampler when you can audio warp?
- Strengths/weaknesses of Impulse, Simpler and Sampler
- A look at multi-sampling, slicing, creating drums from every day sounds
- Layering, looping short sections to create new textures, modulation routing
- Demonstrations are created in context with full musical examples
- Instrument Racks are created with Macro MIDI mapping
- Sound design using audio processing devices
- Vocoder, Erosion, Graindelay etc
- Traditional processes such as feedback and sidechaining
- Build a collection of macro-controllable Effects Racks
Sound Design at Work
- Putting everything into practice from a 'work' perspective
- Tips on creating a sound library from a leading sample CD provider
- 'On the fly' example of scoring sound design to a Hollywood movie trailer
- Several other challenging examples to examine
Antonio Juan Eumir E Blanco Ill Course rating: 9/10
The course is really good. I can apply most if not all of the subjects and techniques taught throught. This will definitely add an edge to my arsenal of music and sound development!
andrew nason Course rating: 8/10
Overall the course was excellent. The lesson plans were dense but well-structured and it opened a lot of doors for me. I appreciate the inclusion of sound design libraries and movie scoring in the lessons. I'm so glad I'll be able to access the material for the next year. My tutor was knowledgable and offered good feedback on the DVRs.
Matt Saunders Course rating: 8/10
Had a great time, a really hard course at some points, because there is a lot to grasp. However if you put the time into it and experiment with the techniques they give you, you can learn quite a lot! Dan was a great teacher too! Loved getting his DVRs back.
Benjiman Sutton Course rating: 9/10
Was a brilliant follow up to Ableton 1 was good to learn alot of the items in it. Hopefully do another course soon.
Carlos Arias Course rating: 10/10
Great course, great tutor :-D thank you Dan
Elliot Zinderman Course rating: 9/10
Course material was very beneficial for me to learn what I need to make the sounds that I want. I was kinda limited on time to work on so I wasnt able to redeem as much knowledge as I would have been able to like the Ableton 1 course.
The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) carries out annual official inspections of our School including analysis of management, staff, tutors, students and courses. The report shows that we scored the highest marks possible (Exceeds Expectations) in all categories including outstanding teaching and facilities. View the report.